?

Log in

No account? Create an account
LJ-Sec 0.1 now released - LiveJournal Client Discussions [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
LiveJournal Client Discussions

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

LJ-Sec 0.1 now released [Jul. 14th, 2006|05:56 pm]
LiveJournal Client Discussions

lj_clients

[soundwave106]
(Crossposted)

I have decided to create a solution that allows you to mass-change your security settings. This is a dedicated client, and allows for more complicated security changes than simply switching public posts to friends only. It also acts as a journal archive in the process.

I called the program LJ-Sec.

It is open source (C#), of course. It's designed for Windows systems, and requires the .NET framework (1.1).

You can download the program, and optionally the source, here.

Here are some features:
  • Easily switch post group security levels (eg Public to Friends Only)
  • Perform more complicated custom selections
  • LJ-Sec automatically creates a journal archive, because that's the way the interface works. So you can preview your older posts too.
  • Search your archived journal (boolean search capability). You can tag the results as posts you wish to change.
  • Open source (C#).

    This *is* an initial release, and while I haven't had any problems with post eating etc. in tests, I recommend backing up your journal with Livejournal's backup tool before using this program.

    Hopefully you enjoy the program. :)

    Any suggestions for future improvements will be appreciated. I've already noted that bulk find-and-replace might be a good thing to add to this in the future...
  • linkReply

    Comments:
    [User Picture]From: xb95
    2006-07-20 02:26 am (UTC)
    Probably you're sending ver=0, or not sending ver at all. Set it to 1 and that error should go away.

    That's to prevent non-Unicode aware clients from accidentally mangling Unicode data, when we switched the site to support it ages ago... so now you have to specify it. (Of course, clients can set ver=1 if they don't support Unicode... we prevent accidents, not intentional mistakes, heh...)
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: stipe
    2006-07-20 02:38 am (UTC)
    Err... sorry for the confusion... I meant that I was getting that while trying to use LJ-sec. I just replied to your comment since you had made mention of Unicode.
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: soundwave106
    2006-08-28 02:25 pm (UTC)
    I tested a post with definite Unicode text. It worked fine. Now I'm thinking the issue might be with older post types that were created before Unicode... not sure what else it could be.
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: soundwave106
    2006-07-20 01:10 pm (UTC)
    And LJ-Sec uses ver=1. So it looks like the Unicode portion is messed up. Doh!

    Hopefully I can get a chance to test this out soon... haven't had a chance to this week so far.
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)