Log in

No account? Create an account
LiveJournal Client Discussions [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
LiveJournal Client Discussions

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

LJ-Sec 0.1 now released [Jul. 14th, 2006|05:56 pm]
LiveJournal Client Discussions



I have decided to create a solution that allows you to mass-change your security settings. This is a dedicated client, and allows for more complicated security changes than simply switching public posts to friends only. It also acts as a journal archive in the process.

I called the program LJ-Sec.

It is open source (C#), of course. It's designed for Windows systems, and requires the .NET framework (1.1).

You can download the program, and optionally the source, here.

Here are some features:
  • Easily switch post group security levels (eg Public to Friends Only)
  • Perform more complicated custom selections
  • LJ-Sec automatically creates a journal archive, because that's the way the interface works. So you can preview your older posts too.
  • Search your archived journal (boolean search capability). You can tag the results as posts you wish to change.
  • Open source (C#).

    This *is* an initial release, and while I haven't had any problems with post eating etc. in tests, I recommend backing up your journal with Livejournal's backup tool before using this program.

    Hopefully you enjoy the program. :)

    Any suggestions for future improvements will be appreciated. I've already noted that bulk find-and-replace might be a good thing to add to this in the future...
  • linkReply

    [User Picture]From: soundwave106
    2006-08-05 07:13 pm (UTC)
    Interesting. Which environment / .NET or Mono package are you trying the prog in?
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: way2tired
    2006-08-06 04:26 am (UTC)
    win xp sp 2, loaded in 1.1 (I have 2.0, if you want me to give that a whirl).

    I start the application, log in, get:
    Error message:Client error:Invalid text encoding: Cannot display this post. Please see http://www.livejournal.com/support/encodings.bml

    after which, the program is completely unresponsive.

    I've been unable to find a debug point to pick this up, I get the old "There is no source code under this error" message.
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: soundwave106
    2006-08-06 05:02 am (UTC)
    You probably need to set the project type at debug instead of release to get the debug points to show up.

    Sounds like a Unicode support issue at any rate. I'm pretty sure there's something I need to do to get Unicode support working, but I haven't had the chance to look at my programs lately.
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: soundwave106
    2006-08-28 02:24 pm (UTC)
    OK, I just tested a definite Unicode post with kanji characters... seems to work fine.

    I'm guessing maybe that some of your older posts were written in an encoding that LJ-Sec has trouble with? Any idea what encoding your posts are in?
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: way2tired
    2006-08-28 02:29 pm (UTC)
    The only language I know and speak well is English. If there's anything else in there, it would be Spanish or German, maybe Russian.

    I've been here a long time, maybe its not dealing well with the number of posts/comments?
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
    [User Picture]From: soundwave106
    2006-08-28 04:49 pm (UTC)
    The error message doesn't really correspond to a "too many posts" type error.

    The Russian is the one thing that might be throwing this program off. Russian's going to use a Cyrillic font set. So maybe the Russian post was made before LJ went to Unicode... ie the post is stored under a different encoding scheme. This type of post may have to be explicitly converted to Unicode (simply editing and saving the post will do) before using this program or other syncmode archiving schemes.

    That's the best that I can think of right now, I'm open to other ideas. :)
    (Reply) (Parent) (Thread)